Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Wild Mushroom Ravioli

I mentioned before that I am having too much fun with my new ravioli mold.  Also, that I have extra time on my hands lately.  An upside of those two things together... an abundance of homemade ravioli! First it was the butternut squash, and once that worked out (quite well, I might add), the opportunities were endless!  My husband and I both adore mushrooms.  We put them in chili, roasted vegetables, on pizza, etc... In other words, we put them in just about anything.  So naturally, this lead to my search for a recipe for mushroom ravioli.  This one is a merger between one I found on Food.com and another I found on the Food Network.



Wild Mushroom Ravioli

This recipe begins with my GF fresh pasta recipe.

(Apparently I never took a picture of the finished product...  When I make this again, I'll put one up!)

Filling Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms (or whatever wild mushrooms you prefer)
  • 1/2 cup sliced cremini mushroom
  • 1/2 cup sliced white button mushrooms
  • 2 garlic cloves, sliced
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
  • 2 Tbsp finely chopped onions or shallots
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/8 tsp each: dried parsley, dried thyme
  • 1/8 cup beef or chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 cup ricotta cheese
  • 1/4 cup pecorino-romano cheese

Directions

  1. Melt butter in pan.  Add olive oil to melted butter.
  2. Add mushrooms and onions.  Let mushrooms sweat until they release their juices.
  3. Add pepper, salt, and garlic powder.
  4. Add 1/8 cup broth and let mixture reduce.
  5. Once reduced, remove from heat and let cool.
  6. Add cheeses to blender/food processor.
  7. Add cooled mushroom mixture to cheese.
  8. Pulse until combined but not pureed.  You want some texture left over!

Constructing the Ravioli

  1. Flour your ravioli mold, I used white rice flour for this.  It makes it MUCH easier to coax the little raviolis out of the mold afterwards.
  2. Once you have rolled out two sheets of pasta to fit over your ravioli mold, lay one sheet loosely over your mold.  Leave some room for filling in each of the pockets.  
  3. Add about a teaspoon of filling into each pocket.
  4. Lay the second sheet over the top and gently press the two together.  I used a rolling pin at first, but found my fingers did the best job of this.  Press firmly along the edges of each ravioli so that you can see the mold through the dough.  Do not completely sever each individual ravioli.
  5. Flip the mold over and use the extra pasta dough to gently pull the entire sheet of ravioli's out of the mold.  Use a knife or a ravioli cutter to separate them.
  6. Cook or freeze immediately.

Lemon Thyme Cream Sauce


Ingredients

  • 1 Tbsp butter
  • 2 Tbsp chopped onions or shallots
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
  • 3/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • Pecorino cheese to garnish

Directions

  1. Melt the butter over medium-high heat.  Add the chopped onions and cook, stirring often, until translucent.
  2. Add wine and cook over high heat until wine is reduced by half.
  3. Add cream and thyme and turn down to a simmer
  4. Cook down to about one cup of sauce.  Add lemon juice, salt and pepper.
  5. Serve over ravioli, garnish with grated pecorino cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment