- 10 lbs tomatoes
- 3 lbs onions (about 3 large), finely chopped
- 3 cups finely chopped celery
- 4 Tbsp pickling salt
- 4 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp mustard seed
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp dried chili pepper
- 2 1/4 cup vinegar
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 yellow peppers, diced
- 8 green peppers, diced
- 5-6 jalepeno peppers, finely diced
- 2 369 ml cans tomato paste
- Peel the tomatoes. This is easiest done by scalding the tomatoes for about 10-20 seconds in boiling water.
- Roughly chop the tomatoes into a large bowl and add the onions and celery.
- Mix in the pickling salt and allow to soak overnight.
- Drain the tomato mixture in a colander with small holes (you only want to lose the salty water, not anything else!)
- Add the sugar, mustard seed, cayenne pepper, dried chili pepper, vinegar and garlic to the tomato mixture in a large stock pot.
- Boil together for 45 minutes. While this is boiling, chop your peppers! Note: wear gloves while chopping jalepenos. Your hands will burn for hours afterwards if you don't!
- Add the chopped peppers and tomato paste and stir until it reaches boiling point.
- Take off the heat and ladle into clean mason jars. Be careful to wipe off rims before closing with the lid. This ensures a good seal!
- Process in canner for 20 minutes.