Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Salsa

Substitute teaching hasn't really picked up yet.  So I have a lot more days off than I'd really like to have.     I'm trying to use my time productively.  This week I've spent two days at my parents helping out with canning.  Mom was recently promoted at her job, so she has even less free time than she'd like to have. I've helped out with canning in bits and pieces in previous years, but this is my first time doing it start to finish (mostly) on my own.  Mom sent me shopping and left me a recipe.  At least I knew I could call her at work if (when) I needed some help.  Mom's tomato plants produced in abundance this year, so I'm sure this won't be the last of the canning.  There are boxes and boxes of tomatoes ripening in the garage.  I made two batches of salsa and three batches of tomato soup and I don't think I even made a dent.  Salsa is a two day recipe.  Part 1 involves soaking the tomatoes, celery and onions in pickling salt overnight.  Part 2 finishes everything off.  We try to use as many garden vegetables as possible, and (if possible) we try to use the garden-ripened tomatoes for salsa first.  They have the best flavor!  This year we grew a few green bell peppers, so those got mixed into salsa as well!



Salsa

INGREDIENTS

  • 10 lbs tomatoes 
  • 3 lbs onions (about 3 large), finely chopped
  • 3 cups finely chopped celery
  • 4 Tbsp pickling salt
  • 4 Tbsp sugar
  • 2 Tbsp mustard seed
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 Tbsp dried chili pepper
  • 2 1/4 cup vinegar
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 yellow peppers, diced
  • 8 green peppers, diced
  • 5-6 jalepeno peppers, finely diced
  • 2 369 ml cans tomato paste

DIRECTIONS

Part 1
  1. Peel the tomatoes.  This is easiest done by scalding the tomatoes for about 10-20 seconds in boiling water.
  2. Roughly chop the tomatoes into a large bowl and add the onions and celery.
  3. Mix in the pickling salt and allow to soak overnight.
Part 2


  1. Drain the tomato mixture in a colander with small holes (you only want to lose the salty water, not anything else!)
  2. Add the sugar, mustard seed, cayenne pepper, dried chili pepper, vinegar and garlic to the tomato mixture in a large stock pot.
  3. Boil together for 45 minutes.  While this is boiling, chop your peppers!  Note: wear gloves while chopping jalepenos.  Your hands will burn for hours afterwards if you don't!
  4. Add the chopped peppers and tomato paste and stir until it reaches boiling point.
  5. Take off the heat and ladle into clean mason jars.  Be careful to wipe off rims before closing with the lid.  This ensures a good seal!
  6. Process in canner for 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment