Gluten Free Cheese Biscuits
- 1 cup millet flour
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup sweet rice flour
- 1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 40 g (1/4 cup packed) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together dry ingredients. Cut in butter with pastry blender until butter is the size of small peas. Toss the shredded cheese into the dry ingredients, ensuring to break up any clumps that may have formed.
- Stir buttermilk into dough until it just comes together. Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface (I use sweet rice flour). Pat dough into a rectangle that is about 1 inch high. Cut into squares.
- Place squares on baking sheet and bake for 12-16 minutes.
**Note: The first time I made these I found the flour used to cover the work surface left a powdery coating on the biscuits after cooked. The taste and texture of the biscuits themselves was perfect. Next time I may try using a little bit more buttermilk to compensate. Do your own experimenting also!