Thursday, October 11, 2012

Gluten Free Gnocchi

Gnocchi are little pasta-potato dumplings.  I tried them for the first time when I studied abroad in Italy, and I believe it was love at first bite.  When I first went GF, I was happy to find that Kinnickinnick sold GF gnocchi, and they were delicious.  My only complaint was the amount in the package for the price.  But aren't all GF products that way?  My lovely sister in law mentioned that making gnocchi was unbelievably easy, so it shouldn't be too hard to convert to GF.



To my surprise, there weren't a lot of GF recipes for gnocchi out there.  As most of you know, I prefer to find someone who has had success and try their recipe first.  This one comes from LaughingLemonPie.com.  To my surprise, it WAS super easy!  My version is a little scaled down from the original recipe (there is only two of us eating here), but it wouldn't be difficult to make larger batches again.

Gluten Free Gnocchi

Ingredients
  • 2 russet potatoes
  • 2 egg yolks
  • approx 1/2 cup potato starch
  • approx 1/4 cup white rice flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
Directions
  • Boil or bake the potatoes until soft, skin on.  Let cool, and then peel them.
  • Mash or whip until smooth, no chunks.  (I used my food processor)
  • Scoop onto your counter top, using rice flour to prevent sticking.
  • Make a well in the center of your potatoes and add your egg yolks.
  • Slowly mix in the flour and salt, until the mixture no longer sticks to your fingers.  You may need more flour than I have listed.  (I found this worked much better on the countertop than in a bowl, because you could add infinite amounts of flour/starch to your mixture when stirring in a bowl.  Mix it with your hands on the countertop, only kneading as much as necessary to combine the potatoes and flour.)

  • Divide your dough into smaller sections, and roll each section out into a thin log.  Using a knife, cut your log into small chunks.  
  • Dip your dough chunks in flour and roll them into smooth balls.  If you wish to have the true gnocchi shape, use a fork to create the dimples.

  • At this point you can choose to freeze your gnocchi on a baking sheet, or boil them to serve.
  • Gnocchi are ready when they float to the top of boiling water.
I served mine with a sage cream butter sauce.  To make this I melted 1Tbsp of butter in a sauce pan, added 1 tsp chopped fresh sage and fried it for a few minutes, and then poured in about 1/2 cup heavy cream.  Once it came to a boil, I poured it over my gnocchi.



Adapted from LaughingLemonPie.com

No comments:

Post a Comment